Hey, I'm Amanda Austin.
I'm kind of a rebel.
I'm a dietitian, but not your everyday dietitian. I have a love of butter (and bacon… mmmmm, bacon), I work with people online and over the phone (sometimes without pants on - shhhh, don't tell), and I've been known to have a bit of a potty mouth (damn skippy).
I don't really believe in diets (unless you have food sensitivities - that's different) and I loathe calorie counting... I also believe wholeheartedly in getting to the root of illness instead of just chasing symptoms.
I definitely don't just blindly follow the herd. You might even get some unorthodox pearls of wisdom from me (like living your passion to improve your health, how to raise a kick-ass flock of chickens, or how to make vegetables actually taste good).
Just so you know I'm legit…
- I have a Bachelor's degree in dietetics from Michigan State University (go Spartans!)
- I completed my dietetic internship at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan
- I passed the Registration Examination for Dietitians in January 2009
- I worked at a community nutrition program for 4 years serving the low-income population of Stockton, California
- I did some consulting work for a weight loss company
- I started my private practice in January 2013
- I became a Certified LEAP Therapist in the summer of 2013 (which sparked my love of integrative and functional medicine)
- I've spent a lot of time reading studies and books and talking with some of my amazing colleagues, so I'm pretty up-to-date with my knowledge and rec's
- I'm also an author, with my first book, Stress Detox, published in 2015
When I'm not helping clients kick their health issues in the teeth, I can be found...
- Tending to my flock of silkies (which are basically the lap-cats of the chicken world)
- Experimenting in the kitchen
- Watching the Bachelor/Bachelorette and other variations of the franchise (don't judge!)
- Sipping some wine from local Michigan wineries
- Enjoying the company of some pretty amazing people
- Dressing my cats up in cute little outfits (they don't mind it that much)
- Pondering the mysteries of the universe
- Helping my husband with whatever wacky scheme he's up to (and when I say help, what I really mean to say is stand in the corner shaking my head in amazement with my glass of wine… #truth)
- Writing books
- Making lists with bullet points (lots of bullet points)